Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Going back to the past... ugh.

So on Saturday I had to attend a graduation party for my exes sister. I say I had to attend because it's very complicated. My ex happens to be my boyfriends cousin. Yeah pretty crappy... that wasn't planned or anything ... it just happened that way. Well so I say I HAD TO attend because my boyfriend Josh wanted me to go with him because he knew it would be awkward plus my exes mom or my boyfriends aunt (whichever way you look at it... confusing) said she really really wanted us to come. Ugh.

It's been three years since I've seen any of my exes family because well we are exes there was no need to see any of them. I would always try and avoid situations when Josh would be going to a wedding and I knew that him or his family would be there. There was a huge falling out with them. Let's say ... there were many accusations made that weren't true. First of all, it's not like me and my ex dated for a few months and well hey no big deal. We almost dated for four years ... so when we broke up it was a huge shock to his family. But I figured "hey let's just get it over with". If in the future me and Josh do get married I don't want his relatives all coming and having it be awkward there... so I thought I'd get it over with.

So mid afternoon me and Josh ventured over to Stillwater to attend this event. We had to call Josh's dad and sister first to make sure they were there when we got there. Just in case this whole thing bombed we would at least have them there or at least I'd have someone to talk to.

It was very weird in many ways. Walking up the driveway and being greeted by my exes sisters like I had just seem them the day before. Then the one woman I had been dreading to see what she'd do (my exes mom) came up to us and was like "O Lynsie it's soo nice to see you!" and gave me a hug. Umm... where did that come from?? She was the one who loved me when I was dating her son... then when we broke up hated me. She would call and leave messages on my phone saying stupid things. So now her coming up to me and hugging me was a little much. I guess overall I was just a little relieved that she didn't make a scene or something. Later in the party she also said to me that she was happy the way things worked out... "they worked out how they were supposed to." I couldn't agree more! :)

It was very weird seeing people that I used to see all the time years ago. Like seeing how the little kids had grown up ... very strange. I pretty much just observed and tried not to talk to anyone that may not have noticed who I was. haha.

The part of the party that was very very awkward was when Chris, my ex, came up to talk to Josh. I totally just ignored there conversation and didn't even look at Chris. I tried to talk to Bridget and play with Mason but it was just so weird. It felt like they talked forever. I was sitting there just waiting for Chris to walk away so I didn't feel soo out of place... but they kept talking and talking. My ex had also brought a girlfriend to the party and also had another ex there that he had a kid with. Talk about weird. But Joshs step mom told me that after we left a lot of people were making fun of my ex because he had so many girls at the party that he used to date and how weird that was. Ha ha... loser. I'm just glad that I was there with Josh.

Pretty much the rest of the party was fine... just sat at a table with Josh's dad, sister, step mom, and nephew and talked with them.

It was nice to see that everyone had grown up and just let the past be the past. Now I feel that the ice was broken so now I don't have to be soo scared to ever see them again. I mean technically they are Josh's family.

But man I'm glad thats over. I knew that dating Josh would cause some problems but its not like you plan to like (and now love) someone. It just happened that way. Just glad the awkwardness is out of the way.

3 comments:

  1. total awkward! poor lynsie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, poor Lynsie. That would suck since it's Josh's family and you would have to see them once & a while. But it does seem like everyone is acting very grown up about it.

    ReplyDelete