Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Please go potty outside! Please!!!!!!

So this has nothing to do with weddings or birthdays or work... it has to do with my litte pup Sadie (the butt). Ok so we (well basically me) have been trying to re-train Sadie in going to the bathroom.


Ok so at first her being a little dog and since it was winter when we got her (she was like 2 lbs) we didn't want her to have to be outside in the cold to go to the bathroom. We trained her to go potty on those potty pads. Since she's a small dog these worked really well. They work decently well still, as in she hardly ever doesn't go to the bathroom off the pad, but when she does ... gross. The pads are in our second bedroom, which happens to have carpet. At first we didn't know she would pee off the pads until it became a problem... it smells to high heavens in there. We WILL have to replace that carpet before it becomes our future baby's room. Anyways  because we're looking to the future we want her off those potty pads and fully going outside. Normally when we were outside and she'd go I'd praise her and stuff but she never got that outside was for potty, not for just playtime.

Anyways so for the last week I have hardcore been trying to work on her. I don't want to have to crate her if I don't have to... so I'll try this first and if it doesn't work then we may just have to. Every morning when i wake up she trys to run straight from our bed to the second bedroom to her potty pad... so I quick tell her "Outside, Potty" she usually I think has to go so bad that she does end up going outside but I usually have to let Sasha in first (since she's been potty trained for years) and let Sadie have her own time to figure it out. Sometimes I'm out there for a half hour. She eventually goes and she gets praise and a treat (for now). Then when I get home same thing over. Same thing at night, except I don't go out with them. It was hard at first because she wouldn't go forever it seemed, so it got really old. Like seriously I would be soo peeved at her. But the last few days have been pretty good. She's only pooped 3 times and peed once on the potty pad in like 3 or 4 days. Pretty good, for her. Anyways so today before work I did the routine of taking her out following her around until she goes and she actually went within like 10 minutes, both. So I'm thinking sweet she's got this down. Well i get home from work and its cold and rainy out. Well I let them out and watch from inside hopeing she'd go and I can praise her when she gets in. She doesn't go. So I left her outside by her self, nothing. So it's pouring out so I let her. Two minutes later she's running to the second bedroom, obviously to go the bathroom. So I call her to go potty outside. She runs out and seems happy... then just sits at the door all sad faced shaking sorta in the rain. But I feel I had to be strong and I left her out in the rain because she has to get that she's out there to go potty. I even walked out in the rain in the grass trying to get her to quick pee, poop and be done with the rain but nope. So it's been maybe 4 hours since then and she still hasn't gone to the bathroom. Nothing on the potty pad and she never went outside. I left her this morning around 9:30ish am. I just am sad because that can't be good for her to hold it in that long. Idk did I do the right thing with leaving her outside in the rain like that?? Ugh... Idk. Why does re-training her have to be soo difficult?? I will never potty pad train a dog again.

Alright UPDATE:
Seriously after writing this, I took the pups outside. It wasn't raining anymore. Sadie peed seriously within the first minute!! Success. Well sorta. Today it was a success, we'll see what she does tomorrow. Maybe being tough on her will work afterall. Hopefully...well it better. Ha. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment